The Murphy Experience

Monday, November 20, 2006

Day 20 & 21

The holiday season's catching up and school has just been flying by real quickly. Most of the students are able to endure the long hours without much (needed) break - and I'm impressed by their attention, although it drops towards the end of the day.. that's normal for any human being.

Anyhow, here's a little gist of happenings (or non-happenings) in school:

Day 20 (Nov 14 Tue)

We took the class out for play after lunch. Karen decided they needed a recess and rewarded them for their efforts in class. The kids were enthrilled. Mrs Russo didn't like for us to take the kids out. She believes that students should work all day, the hours they have in school. Sadly though, some of them got pretty messy (mud on their pants) as they rolled (or tackled, however you wish to see it) about on the not-so-dry field. The weather was great with the sun shining in on us. It had been a rainy and wet morning earlier so everyone was just happy the skies cleared.

I enjoy watching the students at play. The boys would team together (almost instantly) and play rugby or soccer, depending on which ball the more sporty girls would take. Some of the other girls would be just walking around the field, walking on benches or logs and chatting while most of the guys would be engaged in scoring goals. I should say, it's the typical, what you would expect, roles being played out by gender. =)

Day 21 (Nov 16 Thu)

The agenda for the CRC meeting was changed last minute. Each of the intern group was suppose to rotate over a 2-week period to present to the teachers, the action plans we brainstormed for each goal but they pushed that to the following meeting. Anyway, A-long had sprained her ankle so I picked her up in the morning and drove to school with her. I left her at the administrative office and headed up to my classroom. Karen was having trouble with the Riso (it's a kind of photocopying machine that don't use the conventional magnetic mechanism but instead uses a film-like thing to store the image) and was getting frustrated that she might not get her stuff out in time. I set my lunch in and headed down for the meeting. We are now seeing lesser in attendence. Teachers are unable to go for the meeting because it's against the school's policy to cover so many of them with subs (subtitute teachers) and many of the teachers who can find the time often are those who already have an intern that could cover them for that hour they were at the meeting. That however, limits the voice represented and sometimes, that poses a challenge for the team to seek out needed information from these people.

As usual, the debriefing after the meeting took some time as we discussed possible ways of further better working. I was the recorder and was going to be the facilitator for the next meeting so I was busy taking down almost everything my ears could pick up on.

The rest of the day went on fine. I tried to apply what I've learnt in my practical approach to classroom management module and taught (ok, go over their homework) from different spots of the class. This would give different students a chance to be in the 'red' zone (I would refer it to the 'danger, teacher nearby' zone) throughout the lesson. It worked for most of the students but there were some who would ignore my presence and continue passing notes and/or talking to their neighbors. I also have this problem of students trying to read under their desks (sometimes openly too - reading is great but hmm..) or doing other subjects' homework - which I struggle sometimes to get them geared to doing only just math. =(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home