The Murphy Experience

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Day 13 (Oct 19 Thu)

Thursdays are becoming a drag. I don't get to see my class until 10-ish and that makes me sad because I have only 2 days/week at the school and I really want to be more involved in my students' classroom learning. That said, the group in CRC is getting to know each other better so I guess that's a good sign.

Lisa came today. It's a pity that she had to follow me because I was involved in CRC and wouldn't be in the classrooms until later in the morning. That took a good 2 hours off her block and she probably wasn't even able to follow the meetings. Poor her! We did go to a 7th grade math class (I gave the teacher a heads-up on Tue so that she would be prepared for a visitor, except that she was going to do binder check and clearance) for an hour. Lisa had requested for it because she had taught 7th grade math back in New York. =) She's now teaching in a high school, 9th grade algebra and she was saying how she missed the 7th graders coz they were young and more 'innocent' as compared to her current 9th graders. It was a regular classroom where they had the inclusion model in place (i.e. special ed students in the same classrooms). There were 2 para-professionals zipping through the aisles to help some of the students. Once again, I'm skeptical as to placing these students in, not because I belittle their abilities but more of the fact that they would slow down the class *somehow* or cause the teacher not to be efficient in his/her teaching because he/she had to prepare extra & add additional stuff to that particular lesson. I'm also not sure if the para-professionals may be a source of distraction to some kids. Or if there were too many kids on IEP (special ed), how would the para-prof be spread out equally? Such great challenges!

Lisa was 'complaining' about how her school started earlier (7:20am) and ended earlier (1:45pm) and would then free her for a longer afternoon. On my side, even though school started at 8:15-ish, I was in school about 7:30 (or earlier most of the time) and could only leave at 2:45pm. Long hours, long day. I'm wondering if it's a good thing or bad.. to have an extra hour in the morning to kinda prepare yourself. Mentally. Psychologically. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home