The Murphy Experience

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day 6 (Sept 26)

I was still trying to recover from the weekends. It was a really tiring one - Karen said she felt so too, probably due to all the hussle from the start of the school term in September and also due to the weather (fall's here!). Anyhow, the kids are starting to recognize me better and well, giving me that "authority" as their teacher? They raise their hands and I take questions as do Karen, except that a lot of time, I can't give them a certain answer because I'm not here most of the week and there are changes as I go along.. but I learn fast, thankfully. So I guess it's ok. =)

The class went went. We had a intern teacher from Bandeils. She came into class to observe Karen teach (which she sat at the back of the class and silently watch). I passed her the textbook 5 minutes into lessons, because I assume she'll be able to follow better if she had the book in front of her to see. I, on the other hand, was busy trying to do my assignment - script everything that was going on in class for 20min. That was hard! I just can't seem to shut off my mind, listen and just write down every single conversation that was going on in class. We had to pick and observe on "Routines and Attention moves" so here and there, I tried my very best to take note of how I felt. More often than not, I was distracted. Students asked questions, students required different attentions (for example, asked for pencil/paper) or just handing out the end-of-module assessment to the class. In between those moments when I could actually pen stuff down, I wasn't 100% doing so probably because I write slow. =(

The school finally came up with a fixed schedule. That took pretty long considering how 'structured' The Murphy is actually known to be. I think the students are glad (and so is Karen and I) that things are more settled. I believe I have 1 block of 2 40minutes break on Tuesday and 2 blocks of individual 40minutes break on Thursday. I don't like like the lunch-break here. Students get only 20minutes and I'm not sure if it's good for their digestion! Sheesh! For the teachers at least, lunch isn't lunch. We spend 5 minutes bringing the class down to lunch room and couple of minutes to walk up 3 floors. 10minutes later, we find ourselves heading down and spending 5-10 minutes, depending on the quietness of the students as well as how straight their lines were, before heading back to class. How will we have time to even take our lunch out and put it into the microwave oven to heat? For us, lunch is now either at 10am, during our break, or after school at 2:45pm. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home