Day 3 (Sept 14)
I missed the train station this morning. Can't believe that I actually did! Glenda was out and so I had asked Ilana to pick me up at JFK/U.Mass station. She called me 15 minutes before the time we were supposed to meet but my train ride was only 10 minutes (somehow the train schedules aren't exactly reliable) and I expected myself to reach on time. Sadly, the train I was in today did not do the usual intercom announcements each time it pulls into a station. I was busy doing my math problems (taking the MTEL this Saturday) so by the time I looked up and found the surroundings familiar, the doors had closed and the train pulled out. =( JFK/U.Mass was kind of the last station before a split in line (North Quincy is 7 minutes away compared to Savin Hills 3 minutes away) I was frustrated with myself, embarrassingly called Ilana to tell her what happened (she's a really kind soul to understand) and waited for the return train. Reached the class at 7:30am (still considered ok since school starts at 8:15am.)
I found out from Karen that some of the kids had asked if I had quit. That was funny, yet at the same time comforting to know they still remembered I exist. I guess it was hard for them to see me only once this week. I wish I hadn't have visa restrictions, that I may (if permitted) come in on more days and get paid for it.. even receiving a sub's pay would be great.
That aside, I'm learning more about the students each day. Karen has almost memorized all their names while I'm struggling to put names to faces. Some of them are quite soft-spoken so learning names by asking them isn't exactly the best solution. And the next time I see them? Next Tuesday. Sigh. I shall bring in a camera next week to take pictures of them (to learn names, yes but at the same time, catch them in action) as well as the nice art work they did of themselves and why they like/dislike math. Most of the work's done pretty well and it's so interesting to read about what they have to say!
The first class went well. I sat at different spots to observe the students and Karen teaching. She wanted me to explain to the class (310) the 'Do Now' but I hadn't read it so I volunteered to do the next classes' instead. I was able to participate with the students an activity to help students learn how to find the median and then lead part of that exercise with a different idea. It helped me better lead the activity with the next class (312). The kids were really smart at finding the pattern to it. Pretty soon, I had to come out with another way to get the kids to think beyond the pattern they had just found. I'm glad I did and they learnt. =)
There was a Middle School meeting after class and I met more of the faculty and teacher interns. They discussed future events and happenings that were going to take place and allowed me an overview. Another interesting note was that I chose to stay for the Curriculum Night, which was at 5:30pm. It was a time when parents came in to meet with their child's homeroom/subject teachers as well as learn more about the curriculum. It gave the teachers opportunities to speak to individual parents at the beginning of the school year and I felt that it helped set the pace and expectations of both the teachers and parents of the children.
I found out from Karen that some of the kids had asked if I had quit. That was funny, yet at the same time comforting to know they still remembered I exist. I guess it was hard for them to see me only once this week. I wish I hadn't have visa restrictions, that I may (if permitted) come in on more days and get paid for it.. even receiving a sub's pay would be great.
That aside, I'm learning more about the students each day. Karen has almost memorized all their names while I'm struggling to put names to faces. Some of them are quite soft-spoken so learning names by asking them isn't exactly the best solution. And the next time I see them? Next Tuesday. Sigh. I shall bring in a camera next week to take pictures of them (to learn names, yes but at the same time, catch them in action) as well as the nice art work they did of themselves and why they like/dislike math. Most of the work's done pretty well and it's so interesting to read about what they have to say!
The first class went well. I sat at different spots to observe the students and Karen teaching. She wanted me to explain to the class (310) the 'Do Now' but I hadn't read it so I volunteered to do the next classes' instead. I was able to participate with the students an activity to help students learn how to find the median and then lead part of that exercise with a different idea. It helped me better lead the activity with the next class (312). The kids were really smart at finding the pattern to it. Pretty soon, I had to come out with another way to get the kids to think beyond the pattern they had just found. I'm glad I did and they learnt. =)
There was a Middle School meeting after class and I met more of the faculty and teacher interns. They discussed future events and happenings that were going to take place and allowed me an overview. Another interesting note was that I chose to stay for the Curriculum Night, which was at 5:30pm. It was a time when parents came in to meet with their child's homeroom/subject teachers as well as learn more about the curriculum. It gave the teachers opportunities to speak to individual parents at the beginning of the school year and I felt that it helped set the pace and expectations of both the teachers and parents of the children.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home