The Murphy Experience

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Day 1 (Sept 7 Thu) and 2 (Sept 8 Fri)

Day 1

I was excited. And yet, anxious. What would my students think of me? I took pains to write down some things I might say about myself as an introduction in class. I had been in class plays and instruments' performance and stage fright was never an issue. But I guess I wanted to be prepared.. I wanted to make sure I could get my message across. However, with all that at hand, I didn't use any of it in the end. Hmmpf. I thought I might have been able to model after what Karen would share with the class about herself, but ended up going first so it was still inpromtu that got me through.

The day went on pretty fast. Karen and I came up with a rough seating plan at the start of the day - we had to do it for their lunchroom so we figured it would save us some trouble by sitting them in those group. We went through the class/school rules and did mainly administrative stuff. While Karen was explaining the rules and responsibilities (She also made the students explain themselves), I went around the class trying to fit their names on a seating plan I created. Names were hard and I'm amazed at how my teachers used to remember every students' name by the end of the first week!

While going through the agenda books (each student was provided one to write their daily assignments in), Karen pointed out to the students that there was a world map on the inner back cover and some of the students set out on an 'adventure' to locate 'Singapore' and 'South Korea' on the map, after knowing that I was from Singapore and Karen was from South Korea. It didn't take them that long to locate 'South Korea' but it was only towards the end of the class that Ayo exclaimed she finally found it! - I'm proud of her! *smiles*

------

Day 2

It was an early start as usual. I arrived at 7am, only to find most of the school empty. I guess I like to be early, so I can have a head-start in things.. to be able to settle things that I might have missed out the previous day or just have the extra time to prepare myself before the start of each day. Maybe it's a habit I got since elementary school because Dad always wanted to be early at office and he would drop me off in school early in the morning so he wouldn't be caught in a jam.

It took me some time to put myself back into the habit of waking up early.. after all, the summer break was so relaxing. =) I have been in school for 4 consecutive days and learning the 'Murphy Way'. Over here, students wear uniform - a light blue top and khaki colored bottoms. I believe it is a rare sight considering most public schools I've seen have their students wear anything they wanted to (perhaps they do have some rules but definitely not mandatory uniform policies). The students are generally obeying, taking to listen to their teachers and paying attention in class. Perhaps it's too early to say for sure, if the jokers and menaces in class exist but their "horns" are currently still hidden..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home