Day 5 (Sept 21)
We administered a formative assessment today. The guideline was that it had be done by Oct 6. Currently, we don't have the rubic as to how to grade the paper. We do have the answers to the questions (I was pretty bored while the test was administered so I took on the challenge to try the paper myself while keeping an eye on the students) but according to Karen, it seemed that marks get taken off for wrong answers. Hmmpf. I don't like exams that penalize you for trying though.
Anyhow, I tried to pay attention to different students. I didn't walk in between their desks too much, nor peep over their shoulders to see what they were writing (as a student, I disliked it when my teachers would read over their students' shoulders so I don't think I'll do that when I'm a teacher). Anna took a long time checking & re-checking - I wonder if it's an Asian thing about being extremely careful because you would run the risk of your parents breathing down on you each time you didn't score because of careless mistakes. However, I could also see the determination in her - trying to solve it right even though she might not have seen the question before. I think I'd applaud her for her consistent hard work. =) The rest of the class continued with a 'Do Now' after they went done with the test, went on to journal a math reflection question. I think it is a good habit to think about what you have learnt and what you didn't understand. I found that some of them couldn't express themselves and yet some other don't understand the concepts but assume they know it. You could tell from the writings how strong the children were grasping foreign concepts. Most of them did silent reading (a trait in students - love for reading - I seem to notice in the students here at the Murphy's) after work was done.
I asked to visit Ms Callen's 6th grade math class. I wanted to see the regular ed class. I knew it was an inclusion model over those double doors (those doors separate the regular ed students from the AWC students - I'm not sure the purpose of this though..) but sadly, the particular class I was observing was too difficult for the SPED (special education) students so they were removed from 'mainstream' and taught elsewhere. Hence, I will want to return some time next week to see that inclusion model. Anyway, I thought the way that Ms Callen taught LCM or least common multiple was pretty cool and interesting. It was however different from Karen's teaching model. Ms Callen was very strict right from the start. She had set rules for the students and strongly believed that her students knew nothing less than what was expected of them. Students were required to have nothing on their desk except their math binder (specifically closed ones) and a pencil. She came down very hard on the students who didn't do accordingly. She also clammed down on student who didn't do their homework or had showed sloppy work as she moved around them. Apparently the girls did a good job - I noticed they were all seated together while the boys sat together (not too sure if it was arranged or Ms Callen allowed them to choose) and so they were applauded many times for it.
The other thing that stood out to me the most was this card system for disciplinary actions. Each student is given a slot in which their names are written and in those pockets, there are 4 colored cards, each representing a different code (or status). If it reached the "last stage" and you broke a rule, you had to then fill up a problem-solving form. Further actions like lunch detention or after school detention is given as appropriate. The interesting thing to note was that students obeyed and flipped their card automatically should Ms Callen say, "xxx, I'm displeased with you/your work, go turn your card." No questions asked! It's amazing to me!
Anyhow, I tried to pay attention to different students. I didn't walk in between their desks too much, nor peep over their shoulders to see what they were writing (as a student, I disliked it when my teachers would read over their students' shoulders so I don't think I'll do that when I'm a teacher). Anna took a long time checking & re-checking - I wonder if it's an Asian thing about being extremely careful because you would run the risk of your parents breathing down on you each time you didn't score because of careless mistakes. However, I could also see the determination in her - trying to solve it right even though she might not have seen the question before. I think I'd applaud her for her consistent hard work. =) The rest of the class continued with a 'Do Now' after they went done with the test, went on to journal a math reflection question. I think it is a good habit to think about what you have learnt and what you didn't understand. I found that some of them couldn't express themselves and yet some other don't understand the concepts but assume they know it. You could tell from the writings how strong the children were grasping foreign concepts. Most of them did silent reading (a trait in students - love for reading - I seem to notice in the students here at the Murphy's) after work was done.
I asked to visit Ms Callen's 6th grade math class. I wanted to see the regular ed class. I knew it was an inclusion model over those double doors (those doors separate the regular ed students from the AWC students - I'm not sure the purpose of this though..) but sadly, the particular class I was observing was too difficult for the SPED (special education) students so they were removed from 'mainstream' and taught elsewhere. Hence, I will want to return some time next week to see that inclusion model. Anyway, I thought the way that Ms Callen taught LCM or least common multiple was pretty cool and interesting. It was however different from Karen's teaching model. Ms Callen was very strict right from the start. She had set rules for the students and strongly believed that her students knew nothing less than what was expected of them. Students were required to have nothing on their desk except their math binder (specifically closed ones) and a pencil. She came down very hard on the students who didn't do accordingly. She also clammed down on student who didn't do their homework or had showed sloppy work as she moved around them. Apparently the girls did a good job - I noticed they were all seated together while the boys sat together (not too sure if it was arranged or Ms Callen allowed them to choose) and so they were applauded many times for it.
The other thing that stood out to me the most was this card system for disciplinary actions. Each student is given a slot in which their names are written and in those pockets, there are 4 colored cards, each representing a different code (or status). If it reached the "last stage" and you broke a rule, you had to then fill up a problem-solving form. Further actions like lunch detention or after school detention is given as appropriate. The interesting thing to note was that students obeyed and flipped their card automatically should Ms Callen say, "xxx, I'm displeased with you/your work, go turn your card." No questions asked! It's amazing to me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home