The Murphy Experience

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Day 12 (Oct 17 Tue)

I attended the workshop on 'Childhood Behavior and Mental Illnesses' in the morning. I like it because the people who are attending it (about 10-ish folks) are from different areas and expertises - we have regular-ed teachers, special-ed teachers, special-ed para-professionals like a physical therapist and school administrators like Glenda. The workshop is conducted by the school's child psychatrist and it's really cool to see different perspectives. We even have a kindergarten teacher in the class.. and yes, me, the only intern teacher sitting in. =p

The day started well. The students are used to the daily routines and it doesn't take much to get them to start off with 'Do Nows'. Team leaders would collect their group's set and then the class would be quietly doing the worksheet with one or two simple questions that dealt with things they learnt from previous day(s). Some students like Jack, do take some time to get warmed up. He seems like he likes to figit around lots and would be found often at other tables talking to other students. He does seem to take to candies though - managed to get him not to play with his googles once when I told him I would award him a piece of candy if he didn't do so for the rest of the lesson - which he didn't and so earned that candy. I also took notice of another student, Tom. He seems to be pretty chatty, often engaged in conversations with people on the next table. I found him questioning aloud: "Why doesn't the teacher ask me to answer the questions even though my hand is always in the air? Why does she pick on me at times when I decide to talk to my neighbors?" I'm surprised he said that because I would call on him at least once a day but would sometimes prefer to allow the other students a chance at attempting, especially the quieter ones. He's really bright and I'm not sure if he's just trying to tell us that he knows his stuff or that this seemingly 'lack of attention' is upsetting him. I wonder though, if the question of "Does my teacher not like me?" ever crossed his mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home