The Murphy Experience

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Day 16 (Oct 27 Fri)

It was a different day today. I came to school as a student - I knew I would still have the 'authority' as a teacher (or intern teacher =p) but I wanted to be part of the class so I dressed like one: t-shirt & jeans. I even carried a backpack and lined up with the students. I had chosen to shadow J around. However, I felt that I didn't want any of the students to pick on this young lady or disturb her so I just followed the whole class around and sat with different groups of students. This, in itself, was an excellent experience because I got to know a couple of my students much better. Well, it also placed undue pressure on me when some of the students were 'fighting' to have me seated with them or at their table because they knew I was a Harvard student. =( Haha.

So yep, I went around to different classes as a student - had informed the respective subject teachers either the day before or early in the morning. It was the first time sitting in most classes and it also allowed me to get to know some of the teachers better - which would have otherwise based on teacher-teacher interactions at meetings, department professional developments or well, maybe parent-teacher meetings.

In fact, many of the students were all very intrigued and interested to know why I was going to every class with them - I didn't explain to them that I had a case study to do. Karen and I taught 2 other classes. They too, were all wondering why their second math teacher was dressed like a student, acted like one and was going to other lessons. =) It helped me understand how the students felt - about not having much breaks in between classes (that's how The Murphy operated) but expected to perform and sit through the whole day without playtime! Now I can understand better why the class that came in at the end of the day would sometimes be cranky and inattentive.. or how possible it was for students to lose their focus after such long tiring days.

Other than that, the fun part was also the invitation to the class party at the end of the day. Everyone was in a 'halloween' mood and teachers just allowed students to roam to other classes to talk to their friends (in general, I think this is a rare sight, considering how strict and stringent things can be at The Murphy!) Karen gave up the 'Do Now' worksheet and just had students distribute the items (cookies, fudge, cupcakes, chips, doritos, candies.. and more!) to each of their classmates. =) I think I grew a couple inches at my waist there and then. Opps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home